Seedy Saturday - I'm Stoned and I'm Not Digging It! (Not An April Fool's Joke)

Actually, I'm all bricked up!





I check out Facebook Marketplace regularly to see what I might score off there. I have gotten hog wire and posts, purchased used, but still in good shape. My glazing ball and turtle, along with my birdbath. I have also gotten a couple of free things too.

However, this past week was the best!

I scored about 518 bricks for free! Really nice bricks. And some retaining wall stones - 63 to be exact.

The bricks will form my walkway from the concrete walkway up to the front door around to the sides of the house. I should have enough for both walkways. Then I hope I will have enough to form 'stairs' down the steeper side yard to the back yard. Right now there are 12x12 inch pavers forming the stairs and they are not cutting it.

The pavers I will be moving around to the back yard where I want to form an area to set a fire pit on. And/or my little charcoal grill. What fun to sit in the back yard this summer and enjoy grilling out or sitting around a fire. Preferably sipping some of my mead or wine I made. Looking over my lush veggie garden and relaxing. 

Speaking of the veggie garden...

I'm going no-dig!

And you don't know how hard it is for me not to have a tiller and tilling up the garden beds. That's what I grew up with. Every spring, out came the tiller and then the planting began.

However, after a lot of reading and even more watching YouTube videos and programs on TV, I am going to go no-dig. Which means no tiller necessary.

No-dig is just that. You don't 'dig-up' the garden beds. It's mulch and compost on top of the beds to form a good environment for your plants to grow. And by intensive planting and mulch, you shade out weeds. And any weeds which do come up, you clip them off at soil level and either let them drop there to decompose or to put them on the compost heap. The roots will eventually turn into food in the soil. 

So I will be hauling a lot of straw bales to the garden this year. My hope is, next year, with the compost heaps I have started (2), there will be home-made compost ready to put on the beds. So we will see how it goes. 


 

Comments

Popular Posts