Creative Projects for the New Year

I have gotten into the quilting phase now.  It is  amazing just how much fabric I have amassed that can be used for totes ands zippered bags as well.  But in order to give myself some concrete goals, I have committed to three different creative projects for the year (so far).

My first is a zentangle exchange with some people online.  This month we are doing photo frames and exchanging.  I will post once I get mine done and some of the ones I receive in.

My second is a block of the month for a mystery quilt through Wish Upon a Quilt here in Raleigh.  The colorway I selected is a Kaffe selection on black.  Judging by the first block it will be very bright and colorful.  When I get my block finished for this month, I'll show pictures. 

My third project is a block a month swap with a group online.  This month's theme is 'snow'.  Well, I knew that I didn't want to appliqué a dozen snowflakes onto a block.  But I thought I had some fabric left over from an old Girl Scout project the girls did about 12 years ago.  Vintage fabric!


So here is the stack of little half triangle squares.  They are being set into a pinwheel design.  Snowflake fabric in a somewhat snowflake design.  Works for me.

So now I have some 'non-school' projects that I am committed to, so I have some structure to my creativity.  Can creativity be structured?


Anyway, I still have this quilt which is now together and needs quilting.  It will be my first foray into machine quilting, so I have to steel my nerves to go forward.

There is one large flannel quilt for Savvy I need to get the backing for and then it will be ready to finish.  I have 2 large flannel lap quilts and the backing, I just need to measure out the back and put them together.  I have another 'vintage' flannel lap quilt which I need to finish appliquéing some flowers on the top and then it will be ready to put together.

And there is a knitting project going on in the form of a shawl.

I think I have enough to keep me busy for awhile.

Comments

Popular Posts