Writing Wednesday - Or Not!

Other than a bit in my journal, I haven't been writing (shame on me!) I haven't even been doing my morning pages (double shame on me).  

I am blaming part of the lack of morning pages on the time change. It has kicked my ass this year. 

However, that said, I have, over the past couple of days, been jotting down some notes on a new idea I had. And it's all based on creating names from Montana towns.

But before I get to that...

Artwork by Lara Skinner for Calypso Art Editions


This is a card I picked up at Noteworthy Paper and Press in Missoula. The inside says "...and remember to breathe." Which is a reminder I need these days. With packing and move day only 5.5 weeks away, it's sometimes hard for me to focus on what I need to be concentrating on and not get all scattered around the place. 

So I am trying not to beat up on myself for not putting pen to paper (or fingers to keyboard). In fact, the idea I am working on now I am planning on adding notes to and then use it for my NANOWRIMO writing this November.

Anyway, as we were driving to Billings for Lady K's birthday and passed through towns, I fell in love (again) with the town name of 'Greycliff'. Which is just up the road from Laurel. Laurel Greycliff! What a wonderful character name!

One reason I am so delighted with this name creation is I suck at character names. I hate coming up with names. In fact, there is one story I have jotted down and because of the names I am using until I can come up with something else, it reads almost like at Star Trek fanfic. 

So the names I have come up with so far for my Fae Trouble (working title) are - 

Laurel Greycliff - my main character
Helen Garrison - local store owner
Cal Billings - romantic interest (maybe) and plant nursery owner
Colt Drummond - first name of a library patron I know and last name is a town and another romantic interest maybe 
Missy Hamilton - friend
Phillip Lincoln

For once I have names! And a bit of a storyline full of pregnant pixies, a sanctuary for fae of all sorts,  battle with fae royalty, the discovery of her own magical ties. In other words, lots of working out points....but I have names!


Comments

  1. Love these names. I find character naming painful.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. It means a lot.

Popular Posts