Raggedity Purse

This is what happens when someone give you about 5 yards of fabric you really don't know what to do with. Ok, it was ugly fabric! So in a fit of inspiration, I tore it into 1/2 inch strips and rolled it all into a ball......as big as Trumpet Princess' head. She wandered through while I was reading blogs and ripping and rolling and giggled and left.





So after I got it all torn up and rolled into a ball (see it in relation to the arm chair) I took size 13 circular needles and started knitting.



I made the bottom of the purse about a 3"x 14" rectangle and then picked up stitches and started knitting around. Since the gold fabric looked so
boring by itself, I pulled out about a yard of red Christmas print fabric I had left over from some project or another and ripped it up. No picture of that ball, it was much less impressive.


So now I have some strong contrast. I decided I liked the ends where I tied the strips together hanging out and just knitted until I got tired of it. You could only see a little of the big ball decreased, so if I had used it all it would have been a body-sized bag I am afraid.


I was going to make I-cord straps for the bag until I got home and walked by the big box of vintage purse handles (yes, they are from the 60's and 70's...a yard sale find) and there was this perfect set of rattan handles. Just the right size and coloring. So using the red strips, I tied the purse to the handles. Now I just have to line the purse. I think I am going to just use plain muslin (which I have on hand) and I think I want to add one of those large magnetic snaps to the inside to help hold it closed.


Posted by Picasa

And I now have a "commission" to make one for someone else, but she doesn't want the strings on the outside. Her's will be with the same gold fabric and using a soft green for the contrast. I have a set of round wooden handles I am going to paint green and knit the top of the purse a little different in order to go onto the handles.
So I guess since I have had a few "commissions" on various things I have made, I really am an ARTIST! Since they have been knitting mainly, I get to call myself a "fiber artist". For some reason artist sounds much more important that crafter. Call me a snob!

Comments

Popular Posts