Tuesday Sundries - Patience and Hope

The word 'patience' and my name are not usually mentioned in the same sentence. Well, often it is used in the same sentence by my daughters to remark on my lack of said patience. 

And while I have been trying more and more to maintain a more 'zen' attitude and not let the little things bother me, sometimes it is hard.

Oh, so very hard!

This move has been an exercise in patience. 

The anticipation of the move. The actual packing and loading - unloading and unpacking. Looking for jobs (mainly for Texter). The whole enchilada!

But just when I start doubting the wisdom of what we have done, there is this...


You see, this is NOT an example of what an orchid should look like. Its leaves have been very sunburned, hence the purple. And it's all shriveled up. 

Nope, not a good look for a plant, especially an orchid.

This is the remains of what someone was throwing away when they were repotting their orchid last year. And I took it home with me, hoping to revive it.

Over the past few months, I have had it in orchid medium (bark). And then that didn't seem to be working very well, I put it into water. 

That was ok, it was hanging in there, but not doing much of anything. So I just sat it in a plastic container and mist it daily. A good, dripping mist.


And guess what? It started growing!

There is a nice root pushing out and two new canes growing. I don't know anything about this particular orchid. Don't know what color the flowers will be when it eventually blooms (if I'm lucky). 


I will continue to be patient and mist away daily. Once the roots start really growing I may put in a proper pot. Maybe not. 

Sometimes when things seem to be really crappy and you just want to throw it all in the trash, it's worthwhile to be patient. 

Good things can come from it - you just have to be patient. 

Comments

Popular Posts