Saturday, September 01, 2012

Nailed!

I am a life long nail biter.  I was never one to bite my nails down to the quick, but I definitely never had nails.  I tried all those nail biting things which were suppose to deter you from biting and nothing worked.  I could go a few days and then….nom, nom, nom.  No nails for me.  So when Savvy was here in July, I once again decided to put nail polish on my nails and give it a try for a few days.  And imagine my surprise!

P8310001  Yep.  Nails!  I have not bitten my nails in almost 2 months.  Now they still have the strength of paper, but I have nails. (Yes, I could use a manicure, but that is my birthday gift to myself.)  But I have not even had a desire to bit them.  Go figure.  Here I am turning 55 shortly and finally, after decades, have nails.  The other hand is the same except for 1 nail which broke off and not between my teeth.

But I have learned there is a downside to having nails. 

1.  Where did all that junk come from to get under my nails?  I can’t cook, work in the yard, craft without stuff getting  under my nails.

2.  You have to keep polish on them (or at least I do to give them any support).

3.  When you have an itch, you can hurt yourself scratching.

4.  Typing is weird now.  There is a ‘click, click, click’ on the keyboard that wasn’t there before.

5.  Opening pull tabs is a little awkward.

6.  The fingernail polish you put on and hate is the one color everyone else comments on and ‘loves’.

So after 2 months without biting, I think that now means I have established a new habit.  Don’t know why, but I’m not questioning it.  Now if I can learn not to eat sugar!

1 comment:

  1. I never bit my nails by I was a cuticle puller/nibbler. Ick! The only thing that stopped me was having my nails done. That was how I was in Dallas. That got me obsessed though and I had to go every two weeks to have the done. The chemicals finally decided that I would not have nice nails any longer. My own nails grow very fast but are very thin. Now I dislike having any length of long, preferring ultra short. I've been able to restrain the pulling and nibbling to very little at last but I really hated typing and crafting with nails and yep, where does all that grunge come from that finds it's way under your nails?!!!

    Good luck and bravo!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. It means a lot.