Week in Review - September 3 - 9


It's that time of the year! Pumpkin Spice has hit Starbucks, so in the next few months everything will be "Pumpkin Spice this - Pumpkin Spice that"!

While Texter is not a fan of Pumpkin Spice (I like it because the Salted Carmel has also arrived!), she is a fan of these cuties. I went in to get Lady K a cookie for after school and had to get two, one for her and one for her mother.


And speaking of Lady K, with Labor Day out of the way, we can now get back to a schedule where she is occupied all day long, learning and playing with friends. After all, watching your iPod in this position is exhausting (for all of us)!

On my part, aside from trying to figure out the whole new school routine for the semester, I have dragged out a project from 2013 to restart and hopefully at least get it to the finished top stage.



The flying geese (top picture) will form an "X" in the middle of the quilt with the long strip going up the side. I have the second one ready to be joined into a strip.

Problem with this project is since I missed the classes (family upheaval at the time), some of the blocks don't make sense to me. So the lovely ladies at The Sewing Palace are going into their archives to pull out their notebook and help me out. 

But in the meantime I have discovered something...I'M LEARNING!

For example, the blocks in the strips have triangles holding them together (so to speak). There was really nothing about the triangles in the directions other than the amount to cut. But I figured it out all by myself!

And realized, in looking at the other blocks in the quilt, I am starting to see how quilts are actually constructed rather than just following the directions. Once I finish patting myself on the back, I'll try another one of the blocks I don't have full directions on to see if I can figure out how it's put together.

Another problem with this quilt....

Savvy has seen the blocks coming together and is eyeing it for her bed. Silly child!

Otherwise this week...

  • Slipped back into playing World of Warcraft with Texter
  • Finished up 1.5 blocks for the Joy quilt (see above pictures)
  • Went to the gym twice (need to double that next week)
  • Make a ton of banana bread for Texter to take to school (and get rid of ripe bananas)
  • Finished four books
  • Did a tiny bit of knitting (more on tap since soccer is starting)

For next week...

  • Attend a "Back to School" session at the quilt store
  • Update information for a stress reduction planner class for college students
  • Orchid Show all next weekend - helping to set up 
  • MY BIRTHDAY!!!! (60 this year!)
  • Dinner out with Savvy and CJ at Lucca's
  • Texter has already presented me with my birthday present - a sewing workshop in October!
  • Another 'class' at Gulch Distillers with Savvy
  • Soccer with Lady K starts 

So for now, looking forward to the massive drop in temperatures for the coming week and a slight chance of rain. 

Can snow be far behind?

SaveSave

Comments

Popular Posts