Postitive Focus Thursday - Renewal and Rebirth

A lot has been in the news over the past couple of weeks with the polar vortex taking over a good portion of the nation. Unfortunately, it did leave more than snow in its wake as several people lost their lives.

And looking at 2018 in my Hobonichi 5-Year Diary, this time last year dumped snow on Helena. Funny, but it is doing the same thing at the same time this year. Well, funny for me as I am sitting here in 60-degree weather and heading toward the 70's for a few days. 

This is also the time of new I get the 'itch' to get my hands in soil. So much so I stopped by Lowe's yesterday and picked up some potting soil and seed potatoes.


I'm a bit late in doing this, but I am doing it a bit differently this year. I am 'chitting' my potatoes this year. In other words, I am getting my potatoes to sprout before I actually plant them. By putting them in with apples, the gases will spur them to sprout sooner. Then I will plant them in large tubs since I don't have an inground garden. 

My attention then turned to the four houseplants which needed repotting. 


My avocado, which is now about 2 years old, is about 12-14 inches tall and has three trunks. 'Avi' has been in a large yogurt container forever. I did pick up a ceramic pot on the clearance rack at Lowes about a month ago and finally moved her into a new home. I think she will be happier here.


My African Violet from Herb and Garden in Helena needed repotting. 'Cindy', the tiny variegated violet, is the only surviving leaf from a friend in Montana. And my peperomia, 'Ikea', from guess where.




Of course, as leaves came off, I stuck them in dirt.


Don't they look so happy in the window, basking in the morning sun?


So the window in the kitchen. It's such a lovely sight and makes me smile when I look at it. 


The amaryllis are finishing their second blooming. When they finish, I plan on putting them in pots to hopefully have them grow outside. I want to put herbs in the jars once they are finished.



So despite the fact it's February, the hope of summer is there.


Comments

Popular Posts