Seedy Saturday - Budding Up!



150 tulip bulbs later, planted all over my yard, and I am starting to see the 'fruit of my labors'. In the various beds and pots, tulips are starting to emerge despite the cold weather we have had in January. The tulips are a mixture of early, mid-season, and late-season varieties. Unfortunately, they are all mainly pinks and reds, but hopefully as the years go by, I will get different colors added in. 




This in-ground bed has a mixture of 'rescued' bulbs from the grocery store. I am hoping it will be filled out this year with the variety of bulbs planted here. 




And have 3-4 small pots with tulips in them also. I need to move them and set them on the porch steps, but I have to do some cleaning on the porch first.




The 'America' climbing rose is budding up and getting ready to put on some growth. I am hoping he really grows up the trellis this year. His buddy, 'Don Juan' is much shorter and branching out everywhere. Some pruning will be necessary to curb his enthusiasm. 




Baby poppies are starting to emerge. Hopefully, I will be adding in some more different poppies to this bed. The yarrow clump, which has really popped up through the winter, is also doing quite well.




The comfrey, which I basically striped back to the ground in the fall to make some comfrey oil, is coming back nicely. I'll leave it alone for another year (maybe) and then look at moving and dividing it. I would really like some in the veggie garden area. 




Of course, this mint in a container is already do its thing. There may be some mint in my water or tea this weekend!




One of the asparagus crowns is showing some shoots. The other couple are just sitting there. Maybe as the temperatures warm up a bit more there will be some activity. But I think I am going to have to put in some more crowns this year.

My favorite 'bud' so far is my Elberta Peach. I have pruned to main branch to stop its upward growth at about 7 feet. I am hoping for some blooms this year and maybe, fingers crossed, a peach or two. The little Contender Peach hasn't grown like Elberta, but I have faith it will put on some growth this year.

Overall, I am very happy with how things are going so far this year. Of course, I need to get my butt out in the yard and do some work, but it will happen. 

For today, I am hoping to get the outside greenhouse 'tidied' from where it blew over a bit in one of our storms recently. I had to put zip ties on the base and anchor it to the posts on the porch to keep it in place during future storms. I plan on putting some lights out there for seedlings and start moving them out into the greenhouse. 

Yes, I am happy with my 2024 garden so far. 









 

Comments

Popular Posts