Seedy Saturday - Even Chaos Gardeners Would Disown Me

Not feeling well this summer, physically and mentally, plus the heat, which started early, means my yard currently looks like...

Well...

Hell would be a compliment!

However, I am getting back in my groove and have a ton of ideas, projects and to-do's for the remainder of the year and moving forward into next year's garden.

One thing which really gave me a boost was a herb symposium I attended one Friday. It was hosted by the Chatham County Extension Master Gardeners. And can I say they know how to do it right! It was their first symposium and they had it down to the smallest detail. Plus their facility beautiful.

One of the opening talks and one of the sessions I attended was with Brie Arthur, author and gardener. What I really, really love is she talks about 'Foodscaping' and encourages merging flowers and veggies into all you beds. 





I have read about using buckwheat as a cover crop, so I got come seeds from her, along with wheat and barley. Larkspur I got 'just because'. While I don't intend to make my own flour, I am interested to see what happens when I grow them. 

Another item I am happy to get my hands on was hard neck garlic.




I have only ever grown the soft neck garlic. The hardneck is one that sends up a scape when it grows. While it doesn't have as long a shelf life as the soft neck, I am interested in giving it a try. And maybe saving some for planting next year. These will be going into the herb garden area and the veggie garden soon. 

Now I haven't exactly bought all my seeds. Some I 'harvest' from plants growing in planters at a open air shopping area.




This is beardtongue and I 'happened' across some seed pods. Since they have been growing in planters in full sun, I am hoping they do well in my garden. Plus with the dark purple leaves and the purple flowers should be an attractive addition. 

But for now I have to go through my seeds and pull out seeds for a micro greens program!






Comments

Popular Posts