Seedy Saturday - It's Coming Along

Slowly (very, very slowly) the yard is coming along. 

Last Tuesday I spent the day in the yard for the most part. And I did manage to get some of my 'mess' sorted out and have the yard looking less like a jumble sale happening and more like a 'garden'.


The neighborhood 'handyman' came by and dug some holes for me in exchange for a bit of breakfast. I got 3 knockout roses and my other rose planted along the sidewalk. I will be putting fencing along the sidewalk (and hopefully left enough room to slot it in. But I figure a hedge of roses would be nice. 
They may be planted a bit too close, but since knockout roses aren't exactly a favorite (they were free) I really don't mind.


The 'unknown' bush was removed by the front steps and 5 tubs were cleaned out and topped up with potting soil and some compost. I planted cucumber in one tub. Another tub has purple hull peas and the other 3 have pole beans. When I get the raspberry bushes transplanted out of two other tubs, I will add those two tubs to the mix and they will also have beans or field peas in them.


I did get the tomato plants I got from NCTomatoMan into pots. And actually, even after 3 days in pots there is already a difference in size. 

My neighbor behind me gave me a large piece of black plastic. I am going to mow and then lay it down in the back yard and move these containers into the back. The back of my house faces west and gets sun most of the day, so I feel the tomatoes would do really well back there. 

Since the plastic is supposed to be 25 feet long, I will rearrange all my tomatoes along it and then put in some stakes to tie them onto. I already have several tomato plants from my Seedlinked group which need to be staked. My Ferris Wheel variety are not only putting on flower buds, but they are also about 18-24 inches tall already. NCTomatoMan called Ferris Wheel a 'beast' and they are living up to that description.

This coming week I plan on getting my watermelon plants in the ground. I'll put cardboard around them to cut down on the grass growing up through the vines and then I'll dump my grass clippings on the cardboard. Might not be pretty, but it should work nicely.

Also this coming week, after trying out my new electric mower, I will start on the flower beds I want to run up either side of the walkway to the front door. It will be a hodgepodge of all kinds of flowers, which should be very interesting - hopefully.

But not all my 'work' has been outside.


I did managed to get my bathroom sorted out and organized. I do need to get a wall cabinet to have some more storage in the bathroom. But it's not really necessary at the moment.


My ceilings are quite high and with some effort I did manage to get the curtains hung over the doorway between the kitchen and the laundry room/bathroom. I didn't like looking up and seeing the washer and dryer. I should hem the curtains, but that chore is way, way down on my list of to-do's. 

All the boxes and tubs to the right need to be moved upstairs which will be a day long effort. I was going to get the plants off the table behind them and move the kitchen table over there. However, the cats like sitting on the table and looking out, so I will probably leave several of the plants on the table and keep my dining table in the kitchen. It's a drop leaf table, so I can open it up when I have more people over to eat. Of course, I also need chairs!

Things are coming along. More slowly than my mind wants, but I'm listening to my body in this matter! The body says 'enough is enough' at times and I'm listening to the body, not the mind.













Comments

Popular Posts