Old Comforts are Sometimes the Best

On Wednesday I took myself out to see "The Hobbit" (which is wonderful by the way) and decided that I would treat myself to lunch at someplace other than a place with a drive through.  I had been hearing about Panera's 'grown up grilled cheese sandwich' on the radio, so I decided a nice bowl of tomato soup and a grilled cheese sandwich would be the thing.


First off, I apologize for the picture.  I didn't think about it until I had started eating (and thinking) about the meal.  The soup is much more red and I don't like croutons getting soggy in my soup.

The soup was thick and tasty.  The sandwich was cheesy and the bacon was a different touch.  But it was a toss up.  You needed to eat the sandwich before it cooled off and got hard and you had to eat the soup before it became cold tomato soup.  It was a good meal though.

But all the time I was eating it all I could think about was that, while it was good, the good old Campbell's Tomato soup made with milk and a grilled cheese sandwich made with colby jack slices on plain old Wonder bread was just as good if not better.

Tomato soup and grilled cheese, often made with Kraft American Cheese Slices, were a go-to meal growing up.  My girls ate a ton of them.  I still like it if I'm not feeling up to snuff.  Of course, eating the meal at home, I throw little chunks of cheese into the soup to get all melty.  

Still, while good and not fast food, I'll take my comfort food at home, in my pj's, on the couch, watching trash TV.  

Comments

Popular Posts