More Birds.....

Before the weather turned rainy here (and snowy just above us), I shot some pictures of my birdy friends.

This is the reason why I left the volunteer sunflower growing in my planter.


The Mountain Chickadee spent hours going back and forth to the sunflower, picking out the seeds.  His acrobatics were very amusing to watch.


He worked so hard to get his seeds.  On the other hand, his cousin, the Black Capped Chickadee, took the easy way out and just went to the nyger bag for his seeds.


I don't know if he didn't like sunflower seeds or considered the sunflower off-limits since the Mountain Chickadee was eating from it.

Another thing I learned while watching the birds on our last sunny day this past week were that the grackles are really colorful.


I had thrown some stale bread out on the patio and several Common Grackles appeared.  I know a lot of people don't like them (flocks pooping on cars), but I had never realized how colorful they really were.  The green-black of their head merging into the bronze and purple of the body. 


The only thing is that they have 'beady' yellow eyes and can look a little spooky.  But with their coloring, I don't think they are "Common" at all.

But with the weather all yucky, I stocked up the feeders with suet and seeds and added a couple of feeders.  I love to sit upstairs and watch the birds while stitching and knitting.  So there should be a lot more bird pictures coming.  I'm hoping for some newcomers to the feeders with the weather getting colder.

Comments

Popular Posts