Bookish Thursday - Blood On Their Hands by Mandy Matney


First off, I am a good-ol Southern girl, even at 66. Born in Tennessee, moving to Texas at 9, and to North Carolina at 30, I have resided in the South for all my life, except for a brief 5-year stint in Montana (which was heavenly!). 

I have also worked since the age of 15 - fast food, retail, small company and large corporation. And I am more than aware of the whole good-old-boy club. 

So when the Murdaugh 'saga' hit the news, I was more than aware of how the politics of Hampton County, South Carolina worked. They were the big frog in a little pond. Well, more like the fat 'gator in a pond. 

Getting my fix as often I could through Mandy Matney and the Murdaugh Murder Podcast (MMP), my love for true crime was being satisfied to the max. And as the ball started rolling and coverage became more and more pronounced, if I didn't hear it from MMP, then I wasn't sure it was true or not. 

There were times I was cheering as I watched one white, entitled male bite the dust. I was loving how the 'light' was being shone on how all the back-slapping and deals made were dragged out for everyone to see. Now it wasn't just a 'did you hear about...' - the legal privileges of certain people were nothing like what would happen to me or mine if we did the same thing. 

While Matney's book, Blood on Their Hands, deals with how she, and David and Liz, unraveled the Murdaugh story, the most interesting part, at least to me, was the toll it was taking on her. 

And seeing where Matney and her gang is heading now in South Carolina and beyond, there are going to be a lot more people looking of their shoulder for those 'pesky' people. 

I can't wait to read more from her in the future. 

 

Comments

Popular Posts