Texter in the Kitchen

taco

In my continuing effort to “jazz” up our menu, try new stuff, eat healthier, blah, blah, blah, this past week I gathered up several new recipes.  A lot I got from Oprah’s website from the celebrity chefs she had on a week or so ago.

Then I handed them to OD and Texter and told them to read over them and indicate the ones they might think about eating.  And they did it without fussing (are they growing up?).

The next day at work I made up a two week menu plan and shopping list based on these menus.  So instead of 1 new thing every week, at least this next couple of weeks we are eating about 10.

Saturday night, since OD was out, I did a recipe only Texter and I were interested in.  Did I mention all the recipes I selected were ones I would eat.  It was the Chipotle Shrimp Tacos.  Texter and I will eat shrimp, OD won’t.  Oops, realized I didn’t locate the dried chipotle peppers at the grocery store, so I had to use chili powder.

Results.  Ease of making…fair.  Did have to get my little food processor out to puree the sauce which was a bit of a pain.  Taste…ok.  They called for corn tortillas.  Think I would do it in flour ones as the corn tortillas tore up.  Will I fix again.  Probably not.

But……TEXTER ATE IT!  I could tell she felt it was ok, but she ate it.

And now (on Sunday afternoon) she is finishing up the Caramel Thumbprint Cookies!

 

caramel

She made them herself.  In fact, she insisted on it.  She made Chocolate Chip Cookies last weekend.  And she made a big breakfast.  Hashbrowns are her specialty.

Then Sunday night I fixed Spicy Roast Chicken I tore out of a Food and Wine magazine someone left at work.  I did everything up to the final “topping” which involved jalapeño peppers.  It was good.  TEXTER ATE TWO PLATES OF IT!   I took the drippings and made a gravy out of it and mashed potatoes and a salad.  This one is a keeper according to her.

spicy

There is hope!

PS…the pictures are not mine.  The tacos are from Oprah’s site, the chicken from the Food and Wine site and the cookies are from the Hershey site, but since I am promoting their products I don’t think they’ll mind.

Comments

Popular Posts