Call Me Cinder-mother

Yep, that's me....old Cinder-mother.....everyone else gets to go to the ball and I'm sitting at home.  But only after I made the ball gown.  But who can complain as I helped to create this couple.

Texter and Gibbs are ready for the ball.  Picture taken by her father.
 

When Texter found out 2 months ago there was a ball and knew that she was newly pregnant, there was a dilemma. 

(1) They didn't want to shell out a lot of money for a one-time dress.  
(2) They didn't want to shell out money when saving for the baby.
(3) She didn't know what size she would be.

So, after an hour or so checking out patterns online and armed with Joann Fabric coupons, we set off.  The bodice was from one Burda pattern and the bottom from another.  And Cinder-mother got to put the two of them together to create one dress.

Warning to Self:  Ignore the size on the pattern!  

Luckily, I had this 'feeling' and took it to her a couple of weeks ago, before I sewed the top to the bottom.  Baby Kayden was making her presence known and I had to insert a panel in order to accommodate the hitch hiker.  

Another thing I learned, I really am not wild about Burda patterns. The directions were a bit flaky and I would definitely not recommend them for a novice to sewing.  And you have to go by measurements rather than 'size'.

The fabric was a satiny blue with small glitter flecks in it.  The over fabric is a light blue tissue.  You can see the flecks through the outer covering.  But the bodice is draped and the skirt falls from the empire waist line.

But we got it together and off they went to the ball while Cinder-mother, with a kleenex to her nose, sank into a tub of hot water.  Yep, I was fighting a cold.  Oh, and did I mention I was babysitting dogs...me, 4 cats and 3 dogs.  Wild Saturday night being had here!

So now, I am THROUGH with ball gowns and onto quilts - baby ones mainly.  And a long, long list of quilts I want to make.

Comments

Popular Posts