100 Day Challenge Check-In

We have discovered an interesting phenomenon...

The inside of the house, since there is no longer any heat or electricity, is about 10 degrees (or more) colder than outside! Which makes going into the house to 'rescue' things a quick in and out dash. Especially since the temperatures have been below zero for the past couple of weeks.

But...



So I have managed to come home with about 90% of what is salvageable upstairs. There is a bit in the basement (like a huge roll of batting) which I know is just fine, having missed the smoke and the water.  






As you can see, things exposed to the smoke were a trifle 'black'. 

Luckily, most of the items were in bins or bags. So the next time your family complains about the expense of putting your fabric and yarn in bins, this is why!

So my three goals:

  1. Get back into the house and pull out what fabrics and fibers I can.
  2. Check them and see what can be salvaged and throw away what can't be (too smokey).
  3. Reevaluate my 'stash' of fibers and fabrics to see exactly where I stand.




I am happy to say that the majority of my fabrics and projects made it through ok. There are a couple of backing pieces which could use a wash, but other than that we are good to go. Even some of my rulers made it just fine. Threads...not so much. Now I just need a place to sew!

The fox faces are the start of the Elizabeth Hartman saga I am on. Fox quilt for Texter, Cats for Savvy and then, the complete Forest Fancy for all of us! My Judy Neimeyer's all all safe in the basement in their bins.

I also found Lady K's Owl Quilt fabrics and pattern all in their little bin, nice and tidy and ready to work on. My Joy Quilt was the same way.


Yarns are another matter. My Knit and Swirl Sweater is probably going to be ok. I have the extra yarn in the freezer (suggested by the knitting shop). My problem is I have lost the copy of the pattern so I am not sure exactly where I am. I have the book and the book is fine.  I'm about halfway through. I may just throw in the towel and unravel and start again.

My other 'good' yarns are also in the freezer. Along with the ice cream. One must have priorities.

However, my Lion Brand yarns and most importantly, the Dr. Who scarf I probably won't try to save.

So actually, what I thought was going to be a more daunting task, turned out to be a lot easier than I thought. My next task is going in after my books!

Comments

  1. Sounds like a very positive rescue you had! It must be nice to find "old friend's" safe and sound and still usable! I'm happy for you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. It means a lot.

Popular Posts