Positive Focus Sunday - Another Piece of Flash Fiction

 



While I haven't been writing on either my novel or my cookbook/memoir, I did attend the writing workshop last Sunday. That week's lesson was on scenes and how they need to have a beginning, middle and end, just like in a full novel has. Each scene in a novel moves the story forward.

The following is the flash fiction piece I wrote during the workshop. I am going to brag a bit in that the instructor was very pleased with it and suggested I submit to a literary magazine with it. I probably won't, but it was very encouraging. You see, I have an inner critic which is the size of the Hulk! 

Anyway, here is my scene which he suggested calling '9/11'...


Three of us gathered around the machine, waiting for the flight manifest to finish printing. Name and seat number in black ink slowly inched up on the teletype, each of us reading the names, seeking one or two which might be familiar. The sound of the printer seemed deafening.

'There's Petter," he whispered, the words barely audible in the hush of the office normally filled with conversation.

Turning, I left the printer behind, going down the silent hallway to the break room. 

"It's a little plane," someone said, eyes fixed on the TV screen.

"It's our jet," I said and continued walking, the taste of ashes in my mouth. 



Unfortunately, with Lady K with us this weekend, as well as some other obligations, I won't be able to attend the last workshop. But I do want to thank CharlotteLit for offering this class through our library system. I hope to attend more in the future. 



Comments

Popular Posts