When TV watching was an event…..

 

I had Netfllix on yesterday, watching this and that, while doing some file rearranging, and I clicked on an older National Geographic documentary to watch.  Within the opening seconds I realized what was missing from TV today – It’s not Special Anymore!  Yes, we now have triple digit channels to watch, but it’s not exciting anymore for the most part.

Remember when you would gather around the TV and hear the National Geographic theme start playing?  Ok, so my kids don’t, but I do.  You would hear that familiar song and it would mean you had a great hour of television viewing coming up.  And the Jacque Cousteau specials!

 

Who of us didn’t sit spellbound by visions of the undersea world he brought us.  I remember my first trip to the Caribbean and snorkeling, thinking, “Jacque Cousteau didn’t lie all those years ago.”

Yes, there is a lot of decent television out there.  Probably too much these days.  I can testify I am as guilty of the next person of switching on the boob tube just for the noise.  But there isn’t anything special anymore about it.  You don’t wait until Sunday night to watch Disney anymore – it’s on 24 hours a day, 7 days a week on who knows now many channels.

And Marlin Perkins – old as the hills back when Mutual of Omaha’s Wild Kingdom came on.

Ok, I’m over my ranting about the good ol’ days.  I’ll switch on my Mr. Coffee and nuke some breakfast in the microwave while surfing the web……and lamenting over the by-done days of television.

Comments

Popular Posts