Food and Fiber Friday - Sourdough Experiments!

In reading more and more about eating as people do in the 'Blue Zones' in the world, it was pointed out sourdough bread is actually good for you. The wild bacteria which creates the starter has been found to not jack up your sugar levels and a bunch of other good stuff.

Anyway...

I love sourdough bread and I enjoy baking my own bread. So why not create a starter and make my own bread?

So...

In my long-time love, A Passion for Bread, is my go-to for all things bread related. His recipe calls for several days of feeding and caring for before you get your starter going. In my new cookbook, The Blue Zones Kitchen, there is a sourdough starter recipe used forever from Greece. And it is simply mix together whole wheat flour and water and wait a couple of days and then go!




















Armed with a new bag of whole wheat flour, I mixed up the two different sourdough starters.




The Blue Zones recipe starts with 2 cups of flour and 1 cup of water. I decided to put it into a larger, half gallon jar because I was afraid once it starts, it would bubble over in a quart jar. 

My 'La Farm' starter is in the smaller job - more refined...lol.

So for now, they are sitting in the kitchen awaiting 'something' to start bubbling. La Farm, I will have to tend to daily. 'BZ' I'll leave until Sunday before doing anything to. 

If they both take, it will be interesting to see if there is a difference in taste between the two sourdough starters. 

Time will tell!

Note: Lady K is a huge fan of sourdough bread, especially when I make it!





Comments

Popular Posts