Seedy Saturday - I Have a Greenhouse!

Of a sort...




While this is not my 'dream' greenhouse, it is a greenhouse and will allow me to expand my seedling production! 

Lowe's had it on a seasonal clearance at a fraction of the original cost. I bought it and also a smaller one for inside the house to start seedlings. 

I would have liked to have been able to put it on the far side of the house on the concrete pad, however, that side faces north and doesn't get the sun I will need. Where it is on the front porch it will get morning sun and then protection from the afternoon sun.

Putting the plastic over the frame, I realize I will need a small fan in the greenhouse for air flow, even with the 'door' open. And since it is beside an outlet, I will be able to also run lights in the greenhouse for seedlings and plants. 

There is a large fern I was given, which will hopefully over-winter in there. And I have several seeds which need warm and/or cold stratification or have long germination time, which will help me grow these 'special' plants. 

The downside to this greenhouse is that it does take up half the front porch. That in itself is not bad. However, I have set up a potting bench on the other side of the porch. One day, hopefully in the near future (2-3 years) I can get a back deck on the house and in doing so, there will be space underneath for a potting room. 

But for now, I am extremely happy. I do have room to sit out on the porch still. And I can't wait to start putting cuttings in pots and seeds in soil. 




Comments

Popular Posts