Bookish Thursday - Fall TBR
I have a couple of reading goals for the year and first of them is to read from my shelves. To get my stash of books to be read (TBR) down so I don't feel as guilty for continually adding to it (see next weeks post!).
With the advent of fall, and a load of YouTube videos on BookTubers Fall reads, I decided to prioritize my fall reading. I am going to ignore, for the time being, the TON of books I have checked out from the library.
So, over the next 3 months, it is my goal to get through several of these books which I have on my TBR shelf and which I think will be a 'fall/spooky' feeling. I have listed them in no particular order, by the way.
Actually, I have already started reading this book, which is set in the world of The Practical Magic Series by Alice Hoffman. What says Halloween and witches more than Practical Magic and Alice Hoffman? Especially with a new movie coming out.
But The Witches of Cambridge follow two college age women in the 1950's and a secret society at Radcliffe College. Ava, a poor girl from Maine who has lead a fairly isolated life and Lauren, who is from a rich, Cambridge family. Then girls from the Lilith Society start going missing. Are the witch trials being revised?
So far, so good.
Then I can go from witches to ghosts and travel to the other side of the globe. The Girl With a Thousand Faces by Sunyi Dean is set in Hong Kong after World War II. Mercy has no memory of how she got there and her life before arriving. But she can communicate with ghosts. Ghosts - Halloween - got it.
The Poison Daughter by Sheila Masterson - kill with a kiss? A couple of people who I know have read it and really liked it.
We Chase Shadows by Richard Osman - It's his new series and Osman can do no wrong in my book (pun intended). This book should be a fairly quick read, globe-trotting to solve a mystery. It might be a palette cleanser for me this quarter - sort of a cozy mystery.
A nonfiction on my TBR is The Devil's Garden by Peter Marren. He talks about a some of 'the world's sinister plants and fungi'. A killer garden? Seems appropriate for this time of the year.
And then I can bring in crystals with The Stone Witch of Florence by Anna Rasche. Italy, healing with crystals, the Black Plague, sinister plots - seems fitting for this time of the year.
Dead Beat by Leigh Bardugo is the final book in the Ninth House Trilogy. Demons, magic, secret societies, dark academia - yeah, a good fall read and will check off a series being completed, as well as a book off my TBR shelf.
Three timelines intertwine in Weyward by Emilia Hart. What secrets ranged from 1619 to 2019? Talk of witchcraft abound. Plus, what a beautiful cover to this book.
I have read a couple of her books already and am interested in getting into more of her light-horror stories. I recently read Play Nice by Rachel Harrison (and will not admit to the books from the library of her backlist) and enjoyed it. So wedding gone wrong? A 'Groundhog Day' type plot with someone killing the wedding party? Ok, I'm up for it.
The title alone, The Anatomy of Magic, had Alexis Menard's book on this TBR. With illegal magical abilities at the center of the story, another fitting book for fall.
No magic involved, but a true crime podcast situation where one of the podcasters disappears in Tiffany Crum's This Story Might Save Your Life. I figure it will be a bit of a switch up in reading themes.
There is also a few books which will be released in October and November I have pre-ordered. They are mainly from authors I read already and will be filling out a series I have already started, for the most part. I know a couple will be immediate reads for me!
But more on them next week.









Comments
Post a Comment
Thanks for commenting. It means a lot.