Week in Review - April 14 - 20

This week has been really interesting. 

But first, Happy Belated-By-A-Day Birthday Mr. CJ! His birthday was on Saturday and hopefully he will be over today to pick out a kitten (fingers crossed).

And speaking of kittens...


I am down to three now. One of them is now residing with Mr. RaceCar and Texter. The gray one, Marshmallow (Lady K's name for her) will be staying with us, so there are two left to find forever homes for.

I have been working for Food Lion now for about a month. I was asked if I could possibly go from part-time to full-time for a couple of weeks to be a 'greeter' at the door of the new store they are opening and the one where I will be working. I am really excited as this is supposed to be a 'concept' store and all the 'new' stuff and things they are wanting to try will be done here. But boy, I had no idea what goes into opening and operating a large grocery store!


When I walked in on Monday, the store had the 'hardware' up - shelving, refridgeration units, freezers - most of the things to put food on. And about 70 people there to get things on those shelves.

I sat at the entrance area at a table all week, signing for deliveries and directing vendors to the managers. Chips, drinks, cookies, cereals, snacks were the main vendors coming in. Not to mention all the higher ups from Food Lion coming in to take a look and check on how things are going. The gentleman in charge of this 'reset' is super-organized and there was a morning meeting to let everyone know 'x, y and z' would be happening that day.

On one hand it was boring sitting at a table all day, but they were very generous in letting me read or whatever I wanted to do to occupy my time. I also got a chance to see exactly what it takes to pull together a store opening, meet higher ups and ask questions. After the first day I also set up a mini-charging station for phones since they were constantly on their phones with headquarters and vendors.

And by the end of the week major changes had taken place...


The shelves are set, bins and tables went in. The coming week will be placing the remainder of the groceries and the end of the coming week and the first couple of days the next week, placing in the 'fresh' items - produce, dairy, meat.

Another week of sitting at the table, but they told me it should be busier with more vendors coming in for set-up....like beer and wine! Boring job, but enjoyable and I have a chance to get to know managers and department heads which I wouldn't otherwise. (And I was told while they couldn't stop me, they didn't want me going to another department, they wanted me on the front!)

Luckily, this past week Lady K was on Spring Break and with Texter all week, so I was fancy free. Working, but fancy free. 

Normally, this past Friday would have been the day I would meet up with Lady K's father to exchange her for his weekend with her. But Friday was stormy - literally. Tornado warnings everywhere. We decided to postpone the drive (about 1 hour for each of us one way) until Saturday morning. On my way home, I made a stop at the Charlotte Regional Farmer's Market.


Despite the cool temperatures (in the 40's), there were a few vendors there with plants. Loving this peony! And I want to get some 'Cherry Cobbler' petunias. 

But I did come come with some flowers - my $5 bouquet of flowers. Along with strawberries, eggs, green beans, new potatoes, blueberries and a loaf of sourdough bread. 


Speaking of plants, I received my swap gift from my partner from a Facebook group I belong to about gardening.


A new set of hand tools, a cute plaque, several packs of seeds in purple and yellow and candy! Plus catgrass and cat toys for the kittens because my partner has a little girl and they love cats.

There was also a full moon this week. I did try out my new phone camera on taking some pictures of the moon and the cloudy sky. However, I was informed by Lady K I take too many pictures of the moon!


This week, since I was sitting most of the time, I only went over 5,000 steps on 2 days. But I came close on 3 days. So I need to stand up and walk in place if nothing else this coming week.

Otherwise this week...

  • Wrote 4 posts
  • Finished 6 books (that's what happens when you are sitting all day)
  • Did some planning for the coming week (and have WAY too much to do)
  • Worked 39 hours last week despite leaving early on Friday

This coming week...
  • Working 42.5 hours at Food Lion
  • Need to get it at least 10 hours 
  • Get the rest of the plants in the ground
  • Finish mowing the yard
  • Move to-do lists from last week to this week

But for today, a great dinner with the things I bought from the Farmer's Market yesterday and more coffee!

Comments

Popular Posts