BBC or USA TV?

Anyone who knows anything about me and my household, know we are all pretty.....well, unusual.  For one thing, don't bother us on Saturday evening about 6pm as we are gearing up for both dinner and Dr. Who.  Yes, we are serious "Whovians".

Which has lead to a discussion between Savvy and myself, USA TV or BBC TV?  I have to say it would be BBC TV all the way.  And the reason I have definitely come to this conclusion is this show...


Yep, a show about cars.  

Now first let me state, I could give a rat's butt about cars.  They are simply a means to get from point A to point B in a reasonable amount of time and with a reasonable amount of lack of effort.  Particularly for someone who comes from areas which are known for their lack of public transportation (Texas and North Carolina), I have a genuine lack of interest in cars, trucks, 4-wheelers, etc.  I do show an interest in bicycles, but that's only because some of them come with men in spandex in large quantities.  But if you could see the condition of my car, you would understand my feelings about car.  Thousands of bugs have died for the look of my car right now.  Just waiting for rain to wash them away!

So I have started watching Top Gear.  I am behind Savvy in my viewing of this program and I can't believe I have not watched it all this time.  Even if, like myself, you can barely tell the difference between a station wagon and a VW beetle, this show is funny.  And not in a crotch-grabbing, bathroom humor we "Yanks" like to roll in.  Yes, there is mention of bullocks, balls and testicles, but it is so much more elevated than what we get here in the states....or it could just be the accent.  

But overall, if I had to restrict myself to one viewing area, it would be British shows.  I am fond of NCIS, Castle, Bones, Big Bang Theory and Chopped and I will watch them over and over again.  However, give me Downton Abbey, Dr. Who, Sherlock, Top Gear and I am in heaven.  Throw in access to shows like Midsommer Murders, Rosemary and Thyme, Foley's War...the list goes on and on.

One thing which draws me into British shows, besides their humor being a bit elevated, is they don't have to have the cutest, perkiest, youngest, 'who's the hottest looking' babe/dude out their as the star of the show.  They go for the actor rather than the face.  And when you are a woman of a certain age, whose body shows that certain age, you really appreciate watching someone who looks a lot like you in age and body type.

Comments

Popular Posts