Friday Fiber and Fabric - Step Away From the Stash!


No, I haven't robbed a store of DMC thread. It just looks like it.

A great thing about moving back to North Carolina is I am now only a couple of hours away from a FANTASTIC friend. 

Miss C and I met 25 years ago when I started attending the weekly 'stitch-n-bitch' at The Hen's Tooth, a needlework store in downtown Apex. 

She's watched my daughters grow up and we have gone through a lot, both good and bad, over the past two and a half decades. 

When she came to visit me in Charlotte last weekend, we sat down and started talking like it hasn't been years since we were actually together. I did an overnight at her home in Cary over the 4th of July. 

Unfortunately, while our bond was created with floss, needles, and linen, her health has left her with tremors which means she can no longer stitch. Which means she had several bins and boxes in her basement filled with patterns, floss, and fabric for cross stitch.

She so generously gifted it all to me! That wasn't fireworks on the 4th you heard. That was me celebrating!

Once I got home and started going through everything, reality hit.

After culling patterns (hers and mine and I know I still have some of my stuff in the closet), I have a little over 200 patterns to cross stitch. Some of the patterns have already been started by Miss C and I will finish them up for her. The remaining patterns I will probably ebay and share the proceeds with her. 

It also means I won't have to buy any floss for a long, long time. Except for Anchor brand (which I may convert to DMC). 

After spending several hours sorting through just the DMC thread, I realized I would have to put some of my 'organizing' on the back burner for awhile. Otherwise, I will not get any stitching done.

I still want to create a spreadsheet with the colors I have, but it will have to wait for awhile. Maybe as a break between bouts of stitching. 

This morning I realized all my visiting and bounty has put my routine on hold. And that bothers me a bit. I need that routine and structure. So for now, I need to step away from the stash. 

Comments

Popular Posts