Seedy Saturday - Be Careful What You Wish For!

Because I live on Highland Street, I call my home 'Highland House'. 

However, in recent weeks, I have been calling it 'Moses' as it seemed when the rains came, it parted around my house. 

And a little about the property.

My yard slopes from the front to the back. My neighbor behind me has a creek which runs through the back of his property. The creek bed is about 3-4 feet lower than ground level. He also has a couple of really shaky bridges over the creek to get to the strip of land where there are power poles running through. 

Late Wednesday afternoon, the rains hit! 

Trees were bent from the wind and the rain was coming from all directions. I was a little worried because of my tomatoes and corn, but thought they would be fairly safe due to the fact they are behind the house and it is lower than the front of the yard and house and would be protected.

Then my neighbor messaged me to check out the creek.




So through the tiny window in the laundry room I took this picture. Yep, the creek was rising. Almost to my fence!

The water was raging down the creek!

If I was standing in the creek, the water would have been over my head. 

And this rush of water meant it was pouring upstream and with the wind my poor garden took a beating.




(Note: If you ever plant a banana tree, that thing spreads and you can't get rid of it! I am still cutting back and digging up banana sprouts out of the garden).

My corn was blown over. And I know the wind was whipping around because one square of corn was bent one way and another square bent another way. It also pointed out I really, really need to invest in some more heavy duty stakes for my garden.

When the rain let up I walked down to the garden to see exactly what was 'lost'. Frankly, the garden is pretty resilient and is righting itself. Which is great, because with the heat and humidity present, it's tough to do anything outside until about 10pm and I am in bed at that time.

But my neighbor was less fortunate.







And as we were standing there looking at the tree, yet another branch broke off. 

On the plus side, she had a tree removed this spring, an aging Chinaberry tree which was half dead. I feel if she hadn't had it cut down, it would have been on one of our houses.

So...

With a slightly scrambled veggie garden, I got off lightly. 

And I won't complain for a few days about the rain passing me by!






Comments

Popular Posts