Seedy Saturday - Planning and Pathways






And these are the 'good' views of my garden!

Ok...

I admit...

My property looks like hell's half acre right now. But I am going with the whole 'leave the plants for overwintering insects and birds' theory. Not the 'I'm-too-lazy-to-do-anything-about-it-right-now' premise. 

But I am getting there and gearing up for doing some structural things in the yard over the winter months so I'm not dying of heat stroke this summer. 

There is a HUGE pile of bricks and pavers waiting to be turned into a pathway and a border around at least one bed. That's my first priority.

Then I want to dismantle the 'arches' of hog wire in the garden. They were WAY to flimsy to be used for actually  allowing for plants to grow over them. I will be getting 3-4 cattle panels in the next couple of months and setting up some sturdy, more permanent arches. 

The hog wire will used to construct a fence around the veggie garden. I will need some metal t-posts, but can buy a few at a time to do what I need to do. 

I also have several old windows my next-door neighbor gave me when she moved. (I swear she didn't move because of the state of my yard!) I would like to eventually turn them into the covers for some cold frames. I would really like to explore and expand my gardening to be year round. But this year I will use them to make an inverted 'V' over some lettuce and early peas to give them a boost and some protection from the cold. 

In order to get a move on, I have given myself a deadline of 01 February for the pathway. I will have to dig out a bit of the top layer of red clay which was dumped on my yard in order to do so. But I have a couple of holes in the middle of the yard where Slider insists there is buried treasure and fill them in. 

Late February or early March I will probably start throwing out my clover seeds in the front yard. And if I get my pathways in the veggie garden 'dug out', I may sow some clover down the garden pathways. 

It is also getting to the time of the year where I need to start sowing seeds inside too. There is a pile I need to prioritize. I have a little 'greenhouse' I am setting up inside to keep the cats from 'assisting' in my endeavors. 

So let me go out and mark out the pathway around one side of the front of the house. And see if I need to rent a jackhammer to break up the clay to lay the bricks!

 

Comments

Popular Posts