Tuesday Sundries - More Seediness

Sunday was going to be a 'quiet' day. I had a large batch of cookies to make. And I wanted to up-pot some of my seedlings and plant MORE 'stuff' before I had to go pick up Lady K from her dad.

Well...sorta happened!

First, Texter has all broken out again and had sore in her mouth and couldn't eat. So a trip to Minute Clinic for some relief. And about an hour and a half wait. Luckily, I needed some groceries and it was at Target, so killed two errands with one trip.

Then...

A co-worker messaged her. There was a momma cat who had given birth under their house in the crawl space. They were barely a week old, but with the cold and damp we have been having, they wanted them out. Animal Control wouldn't come to get them. The shelter is packed. So...

Yep, I am 'fostering' a semi-wild momma cat and four kittens. The babies are about a week old. So they are set up in the spare bedroom in a large kennel with blankets and food for momma. (Pictures to follow after she settles down some.) Texter has promised me she will do the leg-work necessary to find them homes in a few weeks.

But I did manage to squeeze in at least making the cookie dough and repot/plant some seeds.




As I pulled out seedlings to up-pot, I filled in the 'blanks'. The 'new' seeds were for the following...

  • Cinnamon Basil
  • Dark Opal Purple Basil
  • Lemon Balm
  • Rosemary
  • Sage
  • Watermelon (Sugar Baby)
  • Kale
  • Hot Salsa Blend Peppers
  • Greyzini Squash
  • Burpee's Best Hybrid Zucchini

In cups, I now have the following...

  • Lemon Basil (and more to transplant)
  • Hyacinth Bean (2)
  • Queen Red Lim Zinnia (17)
  • San Marzano Tomato (11)
  • Red Robin Tomato (11)
  • Rainbow Blend Tomato (15)
  • Pick a Bushel Cucumber (6)
  • Sungold Tomato (3)
  • Lemon Cucumber (7)
  • Mesclun & Black Seeded Simpson Lettuce (a bunch)
  • Jack O'Lanter Pumpkin (3)
  • Sugar Pie Pumpkin (4)
  • Mountaineer Squash (3)
  • Oregon Spring Tomato (3)
  • Black Krim Tomato (4)
  • Brandywine Red Tomato (2)
  • Sweet 100 Tomato (2)

I also planted two saucers of Cat Grass for my cats and Savvy's cats.

Part of the plants will be given out to friends (and probably strangers!). But I really hope I can get a good crop of San Marzano tomatoes to can. And for Lady K, I would love several watermelon and pumpkins. 

I have one Hyacinth Bean I need for the weather to cooperate and warm up some so I can put it outside. I really want it to do well so I can get some seeds for future plantings. 

My potatoes which are in tubs already seem to be doing well. I have one batch in a large whiskey barrel and they are growing like crazy.

Next on the list of to-dos...

  • More cups for up-potting
  • Start collecting (buying) containers to plant in
  • Drill holes in the bins I already have
  • A trip to the county composting site to buy compost for planting 
  • A trip to Lowe's for 'stakes' for tomatoes (using 6-foot poles) and wire for beans, cucumbers, and zucchini.

But for now, just hoping for warmer weather and my lawn mower to arrive!


Comments

Popular Posts