Bookish Thursday - November TBR Update!



So...

As it seems to be my way, I have finished a couple from my stack, along with a couple that I added in because I could!

Blind Spot by Robert Hoffman was a book I received to do a blog book tour for early December. Let's say, the least said, the better.

However, I have been blessed by the Goddess of Books, which happens to be Sekhmet. She also happens to be portrayed wearing a panther skin and often with a panther face and horns. Sounds like a bad ass to me!

Anyway...

I had heard much about The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid and had it reserved with my library and it became available. 




This type of book isn't my normal read, but I decided why not, and I am so glad that I did. In fact, I stayed up late one night reading this and plowed right through it. 

The story is about an actress, Evelyn Hugo, and her rise to fame and her husbands along the way. In her 70's now, she has decided to lay bare all her secrets. Ok! The twist to the book I did not see coming. She is a flawed character and admits to the majority of her flaws as she is telling her story to a journalist she has enlisted to write her biography. This was a 5 star read as far as I am concerned.

The next book was a Book of the Month pick, so I have a copy of it. However, I needed an audio book and it was available, so I listened to it instead. And boy did I plow through this!

Half Sick of Shadows by Laura Sebastian is going to be an immediate reread. Just as soon as I get my hands on a copy of the legends of King Arthur to compare it to. 




Told from the point of view of Elaine, Lady of Shallot, this is a retelling of the legend of Arthur. What makes this so good is while all the players are there, Arthur, Lancelot, Morgana, the story is twisted up a bit. And it is so well done!

The reason I want a copy of the 'original' King Arthur story is so I can go through and pinpoint the differences. Right off the top of my head I know at least half a dozen major differences (but I won't tell because that would be a big spoiler). Definitely a 5 star review in my opinion. 

Another book I 'added' to my November TBR which came off hold from my library was A Line to Kill by Antony Horowitz. 




This is the fourth book by Horowitz I have read and I have one on my Kindle to start reading. Of course, I hopped in on Book 3 in this particular series. Mr. Horowitz, by the way, is a very prolific writer, so I have quite a backlist to go through.

I really enjoyed this read, especially when the killer was revealed. It was one of those head-slapping moments when the reveal is made and you go 'why didn't I see that?' One thing I am discovering about his books is they are consistently good, so I know the read will be enjoyable. I gave the book 4 stars and wish Goodreads would do half-stars, as I would really like this to be 4.5 stars. 

Right now I have added The Strange Case of the Alchemist Daughter by Theodora Goss to my listening queue. And it's pretty interesting. I have just started it, but I can't wait for commuting time to get further into the story. 



I'm not sure what off the actual TBR stack I'll pick up to read on next, probably one of the books I 'won' on Goodreads. But whatever it is, it will be hard not to compare it to the excellent books I just finished. 












 

Comments

Popular Posts