Week(s) In Review - July 11 - August 7, 2022



Boy!

It's been almost a month!

And it's been basically - heat, humidity, chance of afternoon thunderstorms - rinse and repeat.

The garden has been doing ok. I'm pleased, but it's been beaten up by day after day of over 90 degrees. One good thing is I am learning and seeing things which will be done over the fall and winter to have a better garden next year. 

Several quarts of tomatoes have been canned, along with pints of green beans. I'm happy, especially as I have learned a tip to make my canned tomatoes less watery and more of a thick sauce. 

One thing which seems to be handling the heat well is my balloon milkweed. I have 2 or 3 plants by the front steps and one of them is close to 7 feet tall. I can't wait until 'balloons' appear.

Since I have been working and coming home and hiding from the heat, I realized something. It's just me in the house. Well, 4 cats, 1 dog and me. And if I want to get my sewing out and take up the kitchen table, then I'm the only one who cares. Which is pretty good since I signed up for a Block of the Month (BOM) and got the first month's block. That lead to me exploring the local quilt stores and putting together the top for a large Halloween quilt top.

I would like to take a class in September which would certify me to use a long-arm quilter at one of the stores. I would be able to rent the machine and quilt the tops I have laying around. I'm still debating. My machine I have right now isn't equipped to do the type of quilting I want or need to do. So still thinking seriously about it. A birthday present to myself maybe.

Lady K went back on the 24th, a week early. But a cousin was having a big birthday party which was going to involve horseback riding. Plus she needed to start getting ready to go back to school. That worked out well as my co-worker in the Cut Fruit department came down with covid and was out this past week. I had to work more hours in order to make sure things got done. It was all worthwhile as I also got a raise and we met the goal we have set for ourselves, even with it just being me. 

On the reading front I have been reading, and then listening to, Jessie Mihalik's books. Her book, Hunt the Stars, which was the Sword and Laser pick for July, and fell in love with them. So it was a no-brainer to read her backlist. 

This coming week...

  • Attempt to mow my yard (which is WAY overgrown)
  • Texter and Mr. Cobra over to install a digital front door lock for me
  • Pick up Lady K for the weekend
  • Get back on schedule for posting

But in the meantime, it's one more day at work and then off for two days. I can't wait!



 

Comments

Popular Posts