Bookish Thursday - Bookshelf Reorganization!

One problem with watching BookTuber videos is seeing how they organize (and reorganize) their book shelves. And since I was looking at a whole lot of 'unorganized' shelves, I decided on Monday to (1) unhaul books I know I wasn't going to read or that I had read and didn't want to keep and (2) tidy up my shelves. Plus I wanted to update my to-be-read (TBR) list and see how many I had which I needed to read.

We won't talk about the huge pile of library books or the three books I picked up at the library to add to be pile.




This is what my main two shelves looked like in my bedroom. They definitely needed some 'love'.

So...

First, I moved all my 'witchy' books from shelves into my hutch where I keep all my 'witchy' stuff.

 


I still need to go through and do a bit of organization here, but for now they are all in one spot.

Then, my Laurel K. Hamilton and Jim Butcher from the bookcase in front of the front door and moved them to a bookcase in my bedroom. I had unhauled a lot of books I had picked up from Goodwill or other thrift stores and knew I wouldn't read. They are going to a friend and her daughter to look through and read before they are donated to the library or Goodwill to sell.

That frees up the front bookcase to hold my purse and keys, along with books I get from the library so they don't get mixed up or 'lost'. I also have some paper lunch bags for seed collection on the shelf. Those will move soon. 

Then came the big job!

All the books were dumped on my bed to start with. Then the sorting and placement began.




Starting at the top left, I have my set of Madeleine L'Engle books and my Robin Hobb books. I need to fill out my Hobb books with most of the 'Fitz' books. My Lord of the Rings trilogy are at the end.

The next shelf holds my Dune collection and my Red Rising series. There is a lone book one of the 'Wheel of Time' by Robert Jordan. I really want the whole set. And of course that means I need all the Brandon Sanderson books too!

The next four shelves hold my smaller hard backs and then the paperbacks, most of which are the larger trade size paperbacks. You can't see the very bottom shelf, but I have a little bit of space left. I will be putting another shelf in the large gap between the shelves to slide books I am currently reading (I think). 

Then on bookcase number 2, it starts with my Minalima editions and my special Disney retellings and then Harry Potter, plus a couple of 'special' books, like Black Beauty, where I have a special copy of it. 

That starts my hardbacks. Well, mainly hardbacks. There are a couple of books where I have book one as a paperback and then have the hardback of the next one in the series. I have three shelves of these and the shelves are pretty full. Some of them I have already read and need to read the next book (or two) in the series. 

Under the hardbacks comes my Terry Brooks 'Shannara' series. I want to get copies of his new series, Child of Light and Daughter of Darkness. There is a bit of room still left on the very bottom shelf.

All the paperbacks and hardbacks are in alphabetical order. I know a lot of BookTubers do things like sorting by height or color, but I went with straight alphabetical order. 

There is room for one more large bookcase in my bedroom (behind my door). I'll probably pick up another bookcase in the near future. Like when my rib heals more and I can carry more than 10 pounds without 'paying for it'. And having it available at the Charlotte Ikea store.

I also updated my TBR list I had made. I needed to add recent books which came in and books I had read or just removed. I am pretty pleased. The 'old' list had 172 books on it. I removed 42 books to give away (read and unread) and then I had read 21 of them. So 63 books or about 37% of the TBR list. 

When I added in the 'new' books, the new total is 174 books. And I know of 2 books I have won on Goodreads this week which aren't on the list. There are also about a dozen books I need to buy to fill out a series, the most critical being Fonda Lee's 'Jade War' series. I have read the first book which was high on my best book of 2022 list. Now I need the other two in the series. 

I also pulled all the books to the front of the shelf rather than pushing them to the back of the shelf. Hopefully, this will stop me from cluttering the shelfs with other items. 

So if anyone is looking for a birthday or Christmas gift for me... (LOL)









Comments

Popular Posts