Seedy Saturday - Let the Planting Begin!



Two seeds orders made and arrived this past week. I love the artwork on the envelope from Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds






They seem to be really stocking up on seeds from Asia. The two 'free seed packets' are Bok Choy and Mizuna, both Asian inspired. And a lot of the flowers they have for this year are from Japan. Loving it!

Anyway...

Let the planting begin!

I have several seeds I have already started and enclosed in my seedling growing area, which is my under the stairs closet. I moved my brews over and set up the lights in there. This way it will be out of the way of 4 cats and 2 large dogs. Plus the light really bounces off the walls and makes it brighter. Plus it's easier to keep it warmer. There is room for a small fan to have some air flow.

The main early starts are:

  • Mary Washington Asparagus
  • Witch Hazel
  • Butterfly Bush
  • Jack in the Pulpit
  • Cardinal Flower
  • Passion flower
  • Sweet Autumn Clematis
  • Snow Queen Hydrangea
  • Dahlia Mix
  • Northern Sea Oats
  • Green Hummingbird Flower

My plan is to get these up and going, mainly because most of them have long germination time. Hopefully, come spring and warmer weather, they will be of a size I can plant them outside, or at least have them in larger containers.

In the fridge are 3 types of Lavender. The instructions said to put them on a damp paper towel and into a plastic bag and in the fridge until they germinate, about 30 days.

I've also got my list of seeds on hand and a 'Master Plan' of what seeds to start when. This is in conjunction with garden planting layouts being made. I have some metal poles and wire I want to set out before planting starts.

So just because winter hasn't even arrived yet, I am already thinking Spring 2023!



 

Comments

Popular Posts