Food and Fiber Friday - 'Dying' for Curtains!

My house is grey on the inside. Very much in trend and I loved it when I bought it two years ago. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with it. But I am NOT a minimalist living person. I am the cluttered, English cottage type.

I am so over the grey I have been planning and plotting doing some changes, at least to the living room. I will do it one room at a time. Basically, as money allows.

My plan is to paint the walls a dark sage green. And to purchase Ikea bookcases with the extensions on top to go all around the room. I would also like to replace the faux-wood-print-stick-down-pretend flooring with some actual laminate flooring in a darker tone. 

In other words, I want to make a book-lined 'cave'!

Meanwhile, I currently have white linen-like curtains, also from Ikea. They were inexpensive (comparably) and were also with the whole grey walls trend. After two years they do absolutely nothing for me. In fact, if nothing else, they make the rooms seem colder. I think part of it was I wanted more of a fall theme. Fall is my favorite time of the year anyway. 

And with two long-haired black cats who rub against the curtains as they stand on the back of the couch, looking out the window...

Well, you can guess what the curtains look like after a bit. I have a band of black fur across the width of the curtain.




I will have to admit they do allow in light, but I am so over them now. However, I am trying to save a couple of thousand to redo the living room and buying new curtains just isn't part of that plan.




White linen curtains should be easy to dye. A search online showed me a fall color I really liked - marigold. Having several sets of those curtains (I've pulled down a set in my bedroom already), for less than $10 I figured the experiment would be worth it. 




Running a washing machine full of hot water, in went the dye and the curtains. Stirring them around every 10-15 minutes, I let them soak for about 45 minutes (a bit longer than required). I did add the cup of salt to the water and a bit of detergent to the water as recommended on the dye. 

After rinsing them a couple of times, into the dyer and then up on the wall.




I love them!

They make the light coming through the window a warm glow. The curtains remind me of warm butterscotch. Plus, I don't think they will show the cat hair as badly. 

With extra curtains, I am thinking about a maroon for winter and maybe a green for spring. They are inexpensive enough to pick up more at Ikea if needed.

Overall, I am very pleased with out my 'idea' turned out. They blend in well with the oriental rug on the floor and the dark wood of the shelves I have in the room. 

Now to take exact measurements of the room and figure out the cost of flooring and paint. 









Comments

Popular Posts