Seedy Saturday - Getting Back Into the Yard

Ok...

So I am a 'fair weather' gardener.

Actually, I am more of a 'I'm not going out to do yard work when it is HOT outside' person.

Therefore, now that it seems like fall has arrived, I am getting back into the yard. And oh, do I need to be out in the yard! With a machete!

I started at the sidewalk and am making my way through the front yard into the back yard. I think my compost heap has already doubled in size!

This past week I knew I HAD to get the sidewalk under control.




Yes, my sidewalk was the signal the house you were approaching is that spooky, overgrown house in a horror movie!

A few hours later, the sidewalk was trimmed (I have to do it by hand) and the grass filled cracks were cleared. My ankles and left wrist were covered in ant bites!

I decided, after 2.5 years, I wanted to jazz up the area around my mailbox. I had rescued 4 'Blue Henry' Asters from Lowe's (and managed to break up one). Plus, I also popped in some tulip bulbs for some color next spring. 




On my project 'to-do' list is painting my mail box purple. Hopefully, I will get that done in the next couple of months. I need to sand down the existing post first, so I figure that will be an excuse to purchase a rechargeable hand sander. I am just hopping the local squirrels don't 'discover' I have tulip bulbs planted. 

I also set the mower down to the lowest setting and scalped my sidewalk grass. I want to come out and sow some clover seeds along the strip. 

So...

Gardening clean-up and other projects are slowly getting done. On Friday, I cleared out the 'right side' of the area around the porch. A 'Baby Kim' lilac, also a rescue, was planted and I have a HUGE elephant ear going in on the side of the porch. 

The Mexican Anise needs to be trimmed a bit on the back side, but holding off another month or so. I want to take the trimmings and pot up cuttings from them to be taken to the Master Gardener Plant Sale next year. Plus, there is a peony there too. The peony will be moved to my 'peony bed' once the area gets cleared out. 

In the next month or so I want to get my brick pathway started around one side of the front yard. Not only is it a project I want to get done, but it will also clear up a large stack of bricks sitting in my yard. 

Lots of things (hopefully) happening in the yard now that the weather is more to my taste and comfort level!




Comments

Popular Posts