Doing the Math!

If you have a child who asks 'what will I ever use this for?' when it comes to math, tell them if they ever want to become a crafter, especially a quilter (or knitter or spinner or woodworker) they need to 'do the math'! (Ms. Montana will be all a-quiver at that statement - she tutors math!)

So let's start at the top.

First, I 'discovered' Chris Jurd quilts via another website a couple of years ago and purchased a couple of her patterns. However, they didn't make it through the fire. So I ordered them again and added in a third pattern

We WILL NOT discuss how many of her other patterns I want/need.

Secondly, some of the best stuff (well, things in line with my taste) are coming out of Australia, like Chris Jurd and Kathy Doughty of Material Obsessions. Bold colors, non-traditional quilts, rich and yummy. While I like the modern quilts coming out of the United States, they seem a little 'bare' to me. I want rich and luscious!

Which brings me to this...


The fabric is one I purchased in June during the local quilt shop hop. And I knew I wanted to use the design as the 'center' for something. And when reordering my patterns from Chris, I came across the Noodle Box design and knew that's what I wanted to do with it. Sort of...

To begin with, I wanted a queen size quilt. The pattern is for a 45 x 45 inch quilt. 

Then, when discussing my idea with Quilt Scientist in her studio earlier this week, I came home with a HUGE bundle of Japanese metallic fabrics to use. (Will be going back to raid her stash for fabrics for the Pride Quilt soon!)

Anyway...

Which leads to this...


Yep, math!

And planning. And organization.

It seems to make it the size I want, I must make it five times as large!

After going through the fabric Quilt Scientist so generously donated to the project, I need 7 more 'centers'. (I haven't gone through my stash yet, but don't think I have any at all that aren't committed to another project already.)

Then, if I am making it 5 times as large, I need 5 times 1.5 meters of the cream fabric for the background. That makes it 8 yards, which seems like an awful lot. (Thank you computer for having easy conversion tables!)

So...

  1. This will be an on-going project over time.
  2. I have to make a 'trial' and see if I want cream or black background.
  3. My trial will also let me see if I would actually need that much background fabric.
  4. The pattern calls for paper piecing. I am going to do paperless piecing on it.
  5. The original quilt has a narrow sashing. I am making mine a bit wider and need to decide if I want it 'solid' or if I want to put a cornerstone in each junction.
  6. This is also a 'quilt as you go' pattern which I am not going to do.

This means...

  • Making a list of supplies, like template plastic to make a template for the center medallion in each square and freezer paper.
  • Getting another 'box' to put my project in
  • Looking for fabric for 7 more centers
  • Deciding black or cream and if I want to go scrappy on my background or all one fabric (leaning toward all one at this time)

Bottom line...

I am trying to be more 'organized' on my projects and not just 'winging' it. Spontaneity is all well and good, but it can be costly in the long run. Sometimes planning has it's place in creativity. 

Comments

  1. I remember my parents using "balancing your checkbook" and "finding the best deal at the grocery store" as my examples of practical math uses. If they'd said "sewing" I may have been a bit more on board with it. Organization, though, is definitely the way to go. :)
    Are you trying to find centers that match, or complement, that lovely piece in the photo? That sounds like a bit of a fun scavenger hunt.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. It means a lot.

Popular Posts