Obsessed And Planning

Not that I don't have a ton of quilting (and knitting and crocheting and...) projects already, but making the Pride Afghan for Savvy started something.

She asked if I could make her a Pride quilt. And she asked if I could include other flags with it.

"No problem", said I.

Courtesy of Live Loud Graphics


She pointed me to this graphic by Live Loud Graphics to use as reference for all the different flags. And that's when the 'trouble' started.

First, let me state, my philosophy is, as long as it is between two consenting adults - no children or animals involved - it's your business. Have fun. I figure the world is hard enough to navigate at times, if you find someone you love, go for it. We need more love.

Secondly, I worked for over 30 years in the airline industry. I have seen about every conceivable lifestyle you can think of. And have found, those living 'outside the norm' were the first ones to offer the shirt off their backs when you needed help. (I'll save my rant on so-called Christians for another time). 

And once again, who they want to hold hands with, who they love, that's their business. I don't judge them, they won't judge (at least not too harshly) when I overspend on yarn and fabric.

However, having said all of that, doing some research on the different flags was a real eye opener. I did spend some time going 'hmmmm....' and trying to wrap my head around some of the terms and meanings. 

You have to understand, I'm old! "Why, back in my day..." it was all black and white or you didn't mention it. In fact, the biggest shocker would have been a black and a white together.

So it was very interesting to read up on how different people view themselves as far as gender and sexual preferences.

But back to the quilt.

I had a tentative idea in mind and started trying to get my head around the concept.


I wanted to get an idea of sizes if I made the stripes a certain size, etc. Playing with colors and did I want to go with solids or batiks or prints. Making notes on how many times a certain color might be used in the different flags. Just basic thoughts on the project.

I had originally thought of going with squares/rectangles for the flags with the LGBTQ flag much larger in the center.


Then I had an 'ah-ha' moment and squares became circles with points around them, much like the Almond Country Beauty I am currently working on. 

And now I have a whole quilt top (and back) pictured in my mind. And am waiting for a book from the library to solidify my idea. In the meantime, I might make up a sample or two using prints, batiks and solids to see which I like best.

Oh, and work on those other projects already on the sewing table!




Comments

  1. Amazing all the planning that is going into what will no doubt be a wonderful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's gonna be AWESOME. And good on you for being an open-minded person willing to educate themselves and support love. Yay! I recently had an asexual friend describe what that is to me, because I couldn't wrap my head around it (sexual attraction drove SO MUCH of my late teens and early twenties, and nearly every bad decision of that area, it was practically a defining characteristic). I understand now (and....am slightly envious), but that graphic includes terms I haven't heard before and don't grasp as well. Still, the best part is how heterogenous the world is! Homogenous people are boring, bland sheep- I don't like my vegetables all the same (even the same varietal), and I certainly don't like my people that way. Out of curiosity, what's going to happen to the quilt once it's finished?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for opening my eyes a little wider. I think like you, if it's not hurting others...it's your business, not mine. But I didn't realize the different 'flags'. Nice to know!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. It means a lot.

Popular Posts