"Ginger-ly" Class!

I have been enjoying the monthly classes at Gulch Distillery. Tyrell and Steffen make the classes! Every class I have attended has been fantastic and their love for what they do shines through. Come May I will really miss this place.

But this past Saturday, Savvy was able to join me for the "Ginger Brew" class. And for what she called 'day drinking'. After strolling downtown and through Farmer's Market, we entered for instruction on how to make our own ginger brew.


As usual, I was the first one there and we settled down to the important business...what to drink while we were in 'class'. I had a mojito (simply the best!) and Savvy tried the House Amaro.

This class was about ginger ales and brews and beers and we started with a tasting of different ones.


Savvy and I are both ginger fans, everything from ginger ale and ginger brew to ginger candies and crystallized ginger to sooth the tummy.  We both really enjoyed this part of the class, sampling the different styles. Savvy likes her's with more 'bite' and 'bitter', I like the bite, but prefer something sweeter. But I think we agreed on a couple of them we both enjoyed and plan is to have a bottle or two in the back of the fridge for future queasy stomachs.

Anyway, then we got down to the real business of the class...

making our own!


From chopping the ginger...


to stirring in the sugar, water and lime zest and juice, it was all covered in detail for us. What I really like about the classes, it's not just a set recipe, but also suggests on other things you can do to make it your own, like using different sweeteners, or citrus flavors and spices.


Savvy was enjoying the day, sipping her drink, taking pictures and making sure I was getting all the right information down on paper. 

Not only did we learn about making ginger brew, but also about how the bubbles in champagne work! These guys are AWESOME!


So now, we have the knowledge of how to make our own and may give it a try close to the holidays to serve since it really doesn't keep long. 

They just announced their line-up for the fall classes and Savvy and I are signed up. She loved it so much she is asking for those days off. Of course, the next one, which is on Infusions, is on my birthday! What a great way to spend an hour on my birthday.

Gulch Distillery has done some remodeling which really makes it even more fun. Sleek and a bit 'lighter' than it was before, the bar area is really nice and they have more room behind the bar.

But...

The best?

They will be offering a Brandy soon and smaller bottles. Savvy has approved my suggestion it would make a great Christmas/birthday present for her. Along with one of their t-shirts. So one gift for the holidays down!


SaveSave

Comments

  1. How fun! I'm a ginger fan, myself. Is this ginger brew as in soda, or as in alcoholic ginger beer? Either sounds like a great idea!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. It means a lot.

Popular Posts