Damn Creativity! Too Many Decisions!

One of the great things about being creative, is well, you can be creative!

When I knit, crochet, sew, quilt - any endeavor - I am not constrained by exactly replicating what has gone before.

Even the Almond Country Beauty Quilt I am working on, which is kitted up each week for me, will be different than the other 24 people who are making it. I will be placing the fabric in different positions for one thing. So even using the same fabrics, there will be 25 different quilts.

Same thing with the world-wide QAL in November with Bonnie Hunter. She gives us the colors she will be using for the Mystery Quilt and then we all pick our own. Everyone is different.

That being said, it's not always a positive thing. It can mean a lot of 'thinking' and 'puzzling over' and wondering if you are making the right decision.

Case in point, the Noodle Box pattern I have bought and decided to make. As I have already stated, I'm not just doing the design, I am expanding it!

Which brought me to my second dilemma.

Background color!


I am using all these rich Japanese prints and metallics for the quilt and wondered if black, rather than a cream, might be better.

I have been laying in bed thinking about it, options running through my head as I try to go to sleep. (And I found out if I want to do paperless piecing I need to go backwards in my placing of fabric on the strip.)

So a couple of nights ago I made up a sample of the flying geese which will go around the center blocks.


(Note: these aren't the exact background fabrics I would be using. I have to go buy a BUNCH of it, but just auditioning the color itself.)

Texter likes the black. But then she is partial to black. She thinks it makes the colors pop more.

I, on the other hand, lean to the cream, especially since there will be a lot more darker colors used in the geese on the quilt. 

Decisions, decisions!

Luckily, I am not on a deadline for this quilt and can think about it some more. I might even do half and half since I will have 20 blocks to make for this quilt. 

My quilting quru is out of town for a couple of weeks, so I will tape to my wall (I don't have a design wall in the rental) and stare at them for a bit, waiting for her to get back and render her opinion.

What's your thoughts? Black, cream or both?


Comments

  1. Why not try both? If it doesn't work when you get them together you can divide it into two quilts quite easily.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. It means a lot.

Popular Posts