Tuesday Sundries - Bulb Forcing and Narcissus

I love Paper White Narcissus.

A lot of people do not care for them because of the smell. I actually like it.

Anyway...

We were selling a bulb in a glass at work. They grew, got leggy, and people passed them over for more traditional Christmas/holiday plantings. 

I wanted the bulb glasses!





So before they were dumped in the dumpster (which I can't get into at work), I made a 'deal' with the produce manager for 9 of them.

One I have already given to a neighbor before Thanksgiving. Two are in my bedroom. The other six are still in the box in my car. My car, which now smells like narcissus.

A couple of those glasses and bulbs will go to Miss J. Hopefully, I can stop and see her tomorrow on my day off.

My plan is to get some hyacinth bulbs for springtime forcing. A collection of 6 or so hyacinth in the glasses on my dresser would be lovely. And the smell!




Note: A tip. If you see a plant at the grocery store and it starts looking a little 'ratty', make them an offer. Most of them would rather sell you a plant they will end up throwing away for a buck or two.

Comments

Popular Posts