Food and Fiber Friday - Canning and Air Frying

I am still exploring the uses for my Ninja Foodi. Their smoothie blender I have enjoyed for a couple of years now, so when I decided to buy an air fryer/pressure cooker combo, I went with Ninja because I like how the blender has held up.

We have 'played' a bit with it. Chicken nuggets, tater tots, French fries have come through really nice. In addition, I have made the following...

  • Cooked a 5 pound whole chicken in the pressure cooker and then finished it off with the air crisper option - super easy and came out really nice
  • A pork tenderloin in the air fryer - rolled in a dry rub and cooked it up so tender
  • Stouffer's French Bread pizza cooked in the air crisper - works nicely
  • Mozzarella Cheese sticks - crispy outside, melty inside
  • Buttermilk Fried Chicken - really good. And the leftovers are 'greasy' as fried chicken often is

The only negative aspect of the air fryer/pressure cooker is I had to do the chicken about 3 pieces at a time. What it will be good for is when I don't try to fry up 4 chicken thighs and 5 drumsticks. The times when I am just cooking for that meal and one dinner of leftovers.

Of course, fresh butter beans and corn on the cob don't hurt any meal!



More jam making and canning green beans. I had picked up white peaches in error and made spiced white peach jam, and just canned some plain peaches. Then I mixed blackberries and the white peaches for 'black and white jam'. This time the green beans have come from my garden. So far, in about 10 days, I harvested two pounds of green beans.


I have been picking the beans while they are young and more tender. They are a combination of Black Valentine and Seychelles green beans. 

My Scarlet Runner beans are somewhat setting beans. Not really impressed at this point as far as production is concerned. However, it does get an A+ for height and vigor and red blooms.

Wednesday was inventory evening at GameStop, so I made dinner for Savvy and the crew.


I made the casserole from a church cookbook decades old. It is cheap, quick and easy and I love it. I don't love having the whole thing around to eat on for weeks! So by making it for Savvy, I could save a portion for myself for a couple of meals. 

Of course, I had to make a couple of batches of brownies to finish off the dinner for them. Dumping dried cherries and mini-chocolate chips in one batch made for a super yummy option.

The tomatoes are starting to ripen, so there will be taste tests in the future. I can't wait! 









Comments

Popular Posts