Seedy Saturday - Flowers and Melons!

Ok...

I will raise my hand if anyone questions my 'weirdness'. Yes, I am. And I do have a bit of an active imagination. 

So...



When I stood at the top of the slope down to the tomato garden and saw this, all I could think of was one of those 'eye' aliens from War of the Worlds. It was so odd poking up through the tomatoes. With the petals folded over the center, it looked like a big eye looking around the yard.



It looks much friendlier now. I think I am calling it 'H.G.' anyway.

Melons...

I have melons. 

Well, one of each kind (at the moment).


A nice butternut squash getting bigger every day.


This is a seeded watermelon - which in my opinion has more flavor than a seedless watermelon. 


And my other type of watermelon. In the past couple of days it has doubled in size. 

I threw the watermelons down the center of the black plastic I have one group of tomato containers sitting on. It seems to be working really good. Next year I think I will have a slightly raised bed and do the same thing - tomatoes on the outside and melons down the center.

Perusing Craigslist (for free stuff for my garden) I came across an offer for Texas Star hibiscus and a Pink Voodoo Lily. So now I have a 4 foot hibiscus I need to figure out where I want to plant it in the yard. And a 3 foot, more mature Voodoo Lily and a pot with a dozen 'babies'. If nothing else, I can't wait to collect seeds from the lily. They will be planted in the ground too. Or most of them will be. I might keep a couple in pots and put in the crawlspace in the winter.


Three buds on the hibiscus. Of course, the leaves are similar in appearance to another plant of 'ill-repute'. I hope no one tries to smoke my plant.

The Nicotiana I grew from seed are blooming. And they smell so lovely in the evening. I would love a whole room full of this scent. 


My lilies are blooming. I need to move those which are still in planters into the ground.


And my Split Second Morning Glories are slowly climbing and blooming.


My flowers are not as big as pictured in the description, but they are lovely and delicate. I plan on planting all kinds of morning glories and moon flowers next year.

So far this summer I am really pleased with how things are going, especially since most of it was thrown together in a rush with the move. I am already making plans for the future of the yard. NO MORE GRASS! 





























Comments

Popular Posts