Food and Fiber Friday - Weighing and Canning


The past couple of ays off has been all about canning. With 30 pounds of tomatoes so far, I had to do something with them. 


Herbs and some little bell peppers from the garden were thrown in with tomatoes (also from the garden) to roast a bit.


Ten pounds of tomatoes yielded 4 quarts of 'sauce' with about a pint left over. Tasty!

One quart went to a friend and I split another quart between Savvy and her assistant manager. More canning of tomatoes this weekend as I have about 20 pounds of tomatoes on my cabinet. It means a great base for chili and soups this winter.

I also got the salsa recipe from a friend. It called for canned tomatoes (3 different kinds) and I didn't want to tamper with the recipe until I tried it out myself as written. Therefore, 14.5 pints of salsa were generated. I'm giving away salsa to just about everyone I meet!

In addition to the tomatoes, I have canned another quart of green beans.

My latest 'hobby' is a semi-attempt at calculating how much I am actually harvesting from the garden, especially my tomatoes. While this is not the largest tomato I have gotten so far...


I have had many between 1/2 pound and a 1 pound so far this season. After many years of cherry tomatoes, this is wonderful!

While I won't be able to go the entire winter with what I am growing this year, plans are spinning in my mind. To the point I am trying to figure out where to put a small freezer.

But there is nothing like eating 'stuff' from my own garden. 





 

Comments

Popular Posts