Seedy Saturday - Multi-Flowered Sunflowers

Lady K 'planted' some sunflower seeds for me after I moved into my new home. Probably the first part of May. It seems they took longer than necessary to germinate. Plus I had put up the bird feeder and wondered if I didn't have some feathered friends visiting the tub and helping themselves to the seeds.

However, about a half dozen of the seeds eventually started growing. And I love them!



I had not seen these multi-flowered sunflowers before now. I had always grown the varieties which have one flower. And I will admit I was going for the mammoth ones with the huge heads.

Another thing which really thrills me is the number of bees they have been attracting. I mean TONS of bees of all shapes and sizes. To the point I didn't know there was a green-headed sweat bee before now and they are covering these flowers. 

The tops of these sunflowers are like a bouquet on a stalk. I think on the yellow one I counted 14 flowers blooming on the top.

Plus...

Down the stalk there are smaller single flowers set to bloom. So the whole stalk will be flowering soon!

They are being grown in a large tub. I have plans for next year to plant a lot more - probably in the middle of my garden area, both in the front yard and the back yard.

But for now I will come out and stand in my yard and marvel at the bees just working away on the flower heads.



Comments

Popular Posts