Food and Fiber Friday - Free the Freezer!

One of the downsides to working at a grocery store is that I am there when they mark down meat. Which means I sometimes have more meat in my freezer than I need. I also have soups and sauces and 'leftovers' I have stashed for future meals. 

However, I am already getting ready to start planting the garden in the next couple of months and anticipating being able to freeze some of the produce I grow.

Therefore, I need to free up room in the freezer. I know there are items which are probably beyond their 'use by' date. So my goal in the next few weeks is to...


Free The Freezer!


One of the items I have used over the past week has been a HUGE  Pork Butt. After a few meals of BBQ sandwiches, I got tired of eating the meat. So then I had to get inventive, as I really balked at feeding good meat to the dogs (but they still get some anyway). 





I shredded some of the pork and stirred in some spicy black beans and queso blanco, topping it with diced tomatoes and shredded lettuce in a crunch taco shell.

There would have been some back patting over a great meal if I hadn't have been too busy eating it! So good. My only regret is Savvy is 2000 miles away and can't get any. She would love this too.




Pulling chicken drumsticks out of the freezer, I pan roasted them along with potatoes. Our store brand, Taste of Inspirations, has a Bold and Spicy Teriyaki Sauce, which I recently discovered. It is soooo good. After roasting the chicken and potatoes for about 30 minutes at 425 degrees, I added fresh asparagus which I had tossed in Italian Dressing. So, so good. And I had a couple of drumsticks left over so I could repeat the meal. However, I then cooked the potatoes and asparagus in the air fryer. 

A co-worker commented she couldn't cook just for herself. While I am learning about cooking for one person, I do feel I deserve a 'nice' meal too. Not to say every meal I make is not something quick and easy and thrown together, but there is a certain amount of pleasure in making myself a good meal.

And I have learned how to cook homemade Mac-and-cheese for just myself. 

But for now I have to figure out what to do with 30 pounds of cherries!





Comments

Popular Posts