Seedy Saturday - Let the Planting Begin!



My first round of seedlings have been potted up into cups. Lots of lavender and flowers. My butterfly bushes are doing well. I have 16 plants, of which I only need 10-12 for across the front of the yard. A few dahlia (yes, I have learned to love them).

The second round of sowing has been done (last night in fact) and I have 3 flats of more flowers and some tomatoes and a few peppers. I have some seeds I need to soak in water and then plant them up.

Outside, I have been a bit busy (finally, I'm sure my neighbors are saying).




I cleared out this 'miscellaneous' bed and dumped all the 'rescued' bulbs I had in a box on the porch. Even if only half of them flower, they should make a nice display. I should have planted them a couple of months ago at the least, but they were spouting in the box, so I think they will pull through for me.





I have 6 Ikea large dresser drawers from a damaged dresser that I will be converting into a strawberry bed in the back. I picked up 23 nice strawberry plants and after this weekend, will be setting up the 'drawers' outside. I have mushroom compost, worm castings, my compost and some potting soil I'll mix up for the drawers. Then hopefully will have a few strawberries this year with more to come next year.




The yarrow has flourished throughout the winter and a poppy is emerging. My poppies didn't get very tall last year, so I am hoping this one 'does its thing' this spring. Fingers crossed, poppies self-sowed and I'll have more popping up soon.

My two peonies are showing tiny sprouts. Can't wait to see what happens with them this year. Maybe I'll get a bloom off Miss Montana peony.





And finally, my BIG chore next week - fruit trees!

I have 2 each of peach, plum and apple. And then 1 raspberry and 2 types of blueberry bushes. The trees will go in the front yard and partially down one side of the house. The blueberries will go in back, near the compost 'bins' and the raspberry will go join his raspberry friends along the back fence line. While it will be a few years before I start getting any fruit off the trees I can't wait. So excited about what is to come. 

The apples are Cinnamon Spice and Sansa. Peaches are Contender and Elberta. Plums are American and Toka. Plus, I think in the spring with the fruit trees in bloom across the front of the yard will be lovely. 

Here's to hoping the worse of the winter weather is over!
















  

 

Comments

Popular Posts