In Memoriam - Noel



Between Thanksgiving and Christmas, 2007, I went to pick up Savvy from work at Qdoba in Apex where she was working. It was cold and dark, about 10:30 in the evening. I just wanted to get home and get to bed. 

Parking in front of the store where I could see her coming out of the store, I sat to wait for her to finish up her shift, cleaning the store. Suddenly one of the guys at the store came out and walked over to my car. I was told it was cold out here and they had a bit more to do, I needed to come inside where it was warm to wait.

Ok. Two things here. One, this had never happened before. And two, I'm a mom, I can smell a rat. But I go inside and was seated in a booth and given a drink, chips and salsa. And everyone avoided looking at me. So something was going on. 

After the store is cleaned and they are ready to go, the story emerges. 

It seems one of their regular customers had found a starving dog beside the road. They already had several dogs and need to find her a home. One of the cooks was going to take her, but he had a new baby and his wife had told him - either him or the dog, but not both.

They walked me out to the van where they had her stored. And there was this skinny brindle dog with huge dark eyes call curled up in a blanket. When she stood up it was evident she had been used for breeding numerous times, but was still fairly young.

Fast forward to yesterday.

After almost 17 years, Noel gave up the ghost. She had been finally acting her age over the past year or so. But she was still hanging in there. Savvy had to make the hard call and on Thursday morning Noel crossed the Rainbow Bridge. 

Knowing Noel however, she ran across it like lightning. She was the fastest dog I have ever seen. And loving. Curling up next to you was one of her favorite things to do.



Over the years, both while Savvy was young and then when she moved out of the house, Noel was in my car. Over the past 17 years, she probably stayed with me a good 10 years or so. A better dog would be hard to find. 

She adapted to other dogs. And cats. And grandkids.




Noel, I am so glad you are at peace. I hope there is a warm, comfortable bed for you and lots of snacks and table scraps to eat. You are a part of my heart and I will remember you always. 

Goodbye, old girl.





 

Comments

Popular Posts