Food and Fiber Friday - Beaded Waist 'Bracelet'



So this post will straddle both food and fiber-ish areas. 

I made myself a Beaded Waist Chain.

My thoughts behind making this item are as follows:

  • Most of my 'weight' is carried in my belly area. Which is a 'bad' thing and can lead to all kinds of health issues. Some I am already experiencing. And I want to get rid of some of it, therefore, improving my overall health.
  • Beaded waist chains are from countries in Western Africa and are symbolic of femininity, fertility, sensuality and spiritual well-being. Some women also wear them for accountability toward their body. My reasons are the accountability, more focus on treating my body better, and the spiritual well-being. And I won't deny a tiny bit of sensuality and femininity. But femininity as in "I am woman, hear me roar!"
  • The colors and stones in the chain are also symbolic. More about those below. 

Basically, yes I am co-opting an African tradition. However, I hope I am honoring it by wearing it in a way it is meant to be worn. I already have requests from a couple of co-workers, who do have an African background, to make them ones. So I feel there isn't wrong in wearing one, especially if it does help me lose weight.

The beads on my chain were picked deliberately. 

  •  There is a center charm which is a faux sapphire set in a cat face - just because. It's my birthstone and I like cats.
  • Tear-drop Tiger Eye beads (and they are also brown) - protection, grounding, clears negative energy
  • Green glass beads - prosperity, healing, abundance
  • Purple glass beads - spirituality, wisdom
  • Blue beads - healing, truth, insight
  • Gold beads - good health, success, courage wealth
  • Malachite beads - abundance, transformation, growth, change

Right now, the chain sits high on my belly. As I lose weight it will slip further down (hopefully!). So I will see if it does help me focus on, and remember, the whole 'what I'm eating and getting a bit more exercise' thing.





 

Comments

Popular Posts