Home and Garden Friday - White Peaches and Mushrooms!

But not together!




So the oyster mushrooms which are being grown on coffee grounds...

I had pretty much given up on them. They sat there way longer than they were supposed to. And then I happened to look over at them!

Yep - they are fruiting and the grounds are filling up with mycelium. 

In my wee brain, I think I had too much coffee grounds which were a bit too fine to get them off to a fast start. But with the way the container looks, there is a very heavy layer of white further down. Hopefully, I will get a nice harvest from them. I plan on dehydrating most of them, maybe giving some away. That first 'bunch' was 1/4 pound of mushroom - maybe some sautéed mushrooms on my hamburger this week?

However, my 'stupid white' peach tree...




On Tuesday I harvested almost 26 pounds of peaches. That goes along with about 5 pounds I had sitting on the table to do something with. They are small. Luckily, I have a handy outlet where I can make cakes and cobblers and get rid of them without any trouble. I hate wasting them, but so far the tree has produced about 50 pounds of peaches. Too bad they aren't yellow peaches.

I have some cucumbers which will become 'salty' dill pickles for Foxy and Lady K. And more tomato sauce will be made. 

But as of Tuesday, I was at 166.47 pounds of produce out of my garden. At an average of $3 per pound, that puts me at about $500 I have grown! If I actually calculated the fact white peaches and mushrooms are way more in cost that $3 a pound, I probably have saved even more money. Plus it is all organic.

And...

Fall gardening is just around the corner!

But first, I need to get the weeds whacked down!




Comments

Popular Posts