Positive Focus Thursday - My Tribe!

When we moved to Montana in 2013 I wasn't really upset all that much about leaving North Carolina behind. I had a couple of close friends and I had friends at work. But wasn't really sad about leaving them behind.

Of course, 99% of that was my fault. I was brought up to 'stand on your own two feet'. You didn't burden others with your issues. That attitude doesn't work well for forging close relationships.

Then I got to Montana and started to work at the library and it was all downhill from there!

I met up with a fantastic group of three women who refused to take no for an answer. And here we are, 2018, and still texting and staying in touch like we all still lived in the same town. Of course, I don't get to go to sporting events for the kiddos, but I live through reports.

I still keep up with my 'artistic' friends from Helena. There will be a mystery quilt coming up in November and I know I will be checking in almost daily with Miss K about her progress. I do miss my hugs when I would go into 1+1=1 gallery, but I keep track of the exhibits and artwork.


One thing which binds my core tribe together is our love of plants. So much so I get leaves and seeds in the mail to try and root to make myself more plants. And I send plans for how new garden areas ought to be (in my humble opinion).

I am slowly making a second tribe here in North Carolina. All because I crossed the street to find out what the strange noise early in the morning was. And I/we landed in with another crazy group of women - quail, dogs, home brewing, plants, and power tools. This Thanksgiving, because none of us have 'family' we are going home to, are planning a buffet with everyone chipping in food. I can already see it's going to be a fun, wild time.

So the moral of the story is...when you find your tribe, hang onto them, regardless of the distance.

Comments

  1. I love it! I can totally understand the independent part but isn't it fun to be surrounded by fun and wonderful friends? Your Thanksgiving sounds absolutely wonderful. And I love that you got plants in the mail! A true gift!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. It means a lot.

Popular Posts