Writing Wednesday - NaNoWriMo Prep

Yes, just like July is 'Tour-de-France Month', October is 'NaNoWriMo Prep' Month.

Titled (for now) Fae Trouble, the storyline has been swirling around in my brain for months. I jot down notes and thoughts every now and then and I am eager to put pen to paper or fingers to keyboard.

For now, however, I am concentrating on some non-writing and research in order to be able to run with the story on November 1.





At the moment I am designing the house and grounds of the book. They are going to be fairly central to the story and I don't want to say Laurel (my main character) looks out her bedroom window in the morning and embraces the rising sun, only to say in another chapter she watches the setting sun from the same window. Doesn't work.

I see the house in my head and I need to get it out on paper. A large, modern timber and stone house set in the woods. Lots of woods. Backing up to a national forest, so lots and lots of woods. 

And she creates garden spaces on her property and has outbuildings, so all of those need to be mapped out before November 1.

What I am discovering is I am not a draftsman! 

I am also creating a Pinterest board to hold pictures of how I want the house and rooms to look. Staircases too, because you can't just have plain straight staircases.

So for at least the first bit of October, I am being an architect, designer and landscaper - all on paper! 

Comments

  1. Well this is certainly exciting! What a fun story line you are creating!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. It means a lot.

Popular Posts